Minutes · Minutes General Board

April 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting
April 17, 2017
Joann’s Fabrics Classroom, 4470 Ontario Mills Parkway, Ontario, CA

Present: Laura Greene, President; Gayle Bennett, Treasurer; Cindy Chrisler, Secretary; Tricia Williams, Membership; Candace Kimball, Raffle Chair; Rachel McGee, Charity; Jessica Cook; and Rachel Rogers, Media; Donna Gaston and Pat Klassen were unable to attend. The meeting was called to order at 6:30. The minutes of the last meeting (March 27, 2017) were approved (Gayle, Rachel R).

Secretary: Cindy sent thank you notes to Lynn Hanna and Kim Wingert as per Laura’s request last month. Lynn presented the program at the March meeting based on her trip to QuiltConn East, and Kim gave a lecture on quilting at the Upland Library.

Past President: Michele congratulated Laura for doing a good job this year.

Membership: Tricia reported that the guild has 44 members. Tricia will sub for Pat at the membership table when Pat is unavailable.

Raffle: Candace has received a number of donations. She will not be at the June meeting, and will ask at the May general meeting for a volunteer to handle raffles in June.
Challenges: After discussion, the board decided on the following themes for the next two challenges. The challenge due in September will have the theme “go big” and the challenge due in December will be “quilting in negative space.”

Treasurer: Gayle reported that the $150 check made to the City of Grand Terrace will not be cashed, they just hold it as a deposit for using the meeting room. Gayle will add that money back into the account. Fundraisers at the last meeting made $121 at the last meeting, and the checking account now has $1523 in it. Candace has not yet been reimbursed for raffle prizes, which come to two months at $20 each. Jessica suggested using donations for raffle prizes instead of purchasing items, but Candace wants raffles to coordinate with the quarterly challenge. Gayle has dropped off flyers advertising Latifah Shaffir’s talk in June at the Redlands Sewing Center and Painted Lady; she will also drop some flyers at stores in Upland. Jessica will drop off flyers other shops.

SCCQG: Gayle attended the Meet the Teachers SCCQG meeting on April 9. She found several potential speakers who are local and “modern,” including Sandra Johnson (sashiko/denim); Heidi Stengo (long arm quilting), and Claudia Gomez.

Communications: Rachel Rogers is the Communications Chair for the guild. She can post items on the website via WordPress. She will update the website and link it with the guild’s Instagram account. She plans on posting items on Mondays and Fridays. She would like to use the blog for sponsors, speaker interviews, and patterns. She will post the quarterly challenge on Instagram, take down the sponsor pate, and contact local quilt shops for sponsorships. Jessica will continue to moderate the guild’s Facebook page.

Facebook: Jessica is hosting a virtual sew-day once a month, down from every Sunday.

Hospitality: no report

Sale Table: Helen Matter and Marcia Schuh have agreed to run the sale table.

Charity: Rachel M has 18 quilt labels for charity quilts, and Laura has the rest to sell to members. Labels may be purchased for $1 and can be used for name tags or projects. There are two quilt kits and a quilt top out to be finished by members. The next Sit and Sew will be held on April 23 from 9 – 3 at Rachel’s trailer park community room. They will have a salad pot luck for lunch, and refreshments will be provided. Members can work on their own projects or make pillow cases from kits.

Block Lotto: no report

Programs: Aimee French will coordinate “Spotlight on a Quilter.” She will present Angela Walters at the May meeting. Members will be asked to research a modern quilter and make presentations at future meetings. Judee Koda will coordinate the Transitioning Quilter. Aimee French will be featured in July, and Laura Green will be featured in August. Ideas for future programs will include “Quilt University (mini-workshops), and Jessica will make a presentation on midarm quilting and Laura will present walking foot quilting. Cathy Glendening, who lives and works in Redlands, was suggested as a potential speaker. She works at Redlands Sewing Center and teaches quilting there.

Old Business:

The sandwich board was finished and used to provide direction and signage at the last meeting. The sign received a lot of positive feedback. Jessica presented Gayle with an invoice for the sign and Gayle issued a check to pay for it.

The June meeting will be the guild’s “birthday.” Laura suggested having cake and birthday decorations.

The next meeting will be on Monday, May 22 6:30 at the Joann’s Fabrics in Ontario. Cindy will call and reserve the room.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10.

Respectfully submitted,

Cindy Chrisler, Secretary

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s