Minutes · Minutes General Board

May 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting
May 22, 2017
Joann’s Fabrics Classroom, 4470 Ontario Mills Parkway, Ontario, CA

Present: Laura Greene, President; Gayle Bennett, Treasurer; Cindy Chrisler, Secretary; Pat Klassen, Greeter. Rachel McGee and Jessica Cook, Charity; Rachel Rogers, Media; Tricia Williams, Membership; Candace Kimball, Raffle Chair; and Donna Gaston, Block Lotto were unable to attend. The meeting was called to order at 6:30. The minutes of the last meeting (April 17, 2017) were approved.

Laura discussed the timing of meeting activities for the June meeting. She asked how other quilt guilds run their meetings and got input from Citrus Belt Quilters and Nite Owls. Show and Share will be start around 3:45. The refreshment break will not exceed 15 minutes. Laura will announce that we can extend the meeting to 4:30 if we need to run over. We have to be out of the room by 5:00. The doors will open at 1:30 and the meeting will start at 2:05. Business items will be first on the agenda, and president’s announcements will be limited to 10 minutes. Shelley Waddup will bring a half sheet birthday cake to celebrate the guild’s first anniversary. Pat and Gayle will get the plates, cups, cutlery, and napkins . Pat will send out reminders to those who agreed to bring other refreshments. Laura estimates we will have up to 50 people attend the meeting.Pat requested that Laura make an announcement at the June meeting for volunteers to bring refreshments for the July meeting.

Secretary: Cindy will have a thank-you card for Latifah Saafir ready to give her at the June meeting.

Membership: no report. Trisha needs to send out an updated roster to all members.

Raffle: Gayle asked if we were getting a sufficient return on purchased items for the raffle. Last month we spent $20 on raffle prizes and sold $34 worth of tickets. Candace will be asked to demonstrate the QuiltCut II offered for raffle and also to make flyers to advertise it. The QuiltCut II will be raffled in December. Gayle examined the EQ7 DVD and book. They are for a PC only and not compatible with Mac. The EQ7 items will be raffled after the QuiltCut II.

Challenges: no report

Treasurer: Gayle cannot process our federal tax return (via e-card) because MQG has not yet updated their records. IEMQG is a branch of MQG, and we use their tax ID number. As soon as MQG updates their records and informs Gayle, she will complete our tax return.

Communications: Deb Ulrey had been managing the Instagram account but is no longer a member. At present no one can post on Instagram for the guild. Cindy was directed to send all minutes to Rachel Rogers to post on the website. Rachel is thinking of encouraging members to visit the website by having some sort of incentive. Gayle proposed that all members be linked to the website so they will get notices.

Hospitality: Pat requested clarification of the duties of the greeter. She has sign-in sheets but doesn’t know what to do with them. She will work with Tricia and have a sign-in sheet that will track up to 6 months of meetings, which will allow a quick scan to track members that regularly attend. Filled forms will be given to the president. The president should announce birthdays and attendance numbers at the meeting.

Sale Table: no report. Income from last month was $20. The sale table will be separate from the raffle table.

Charity: Rachel McGee and Jessica Cook will deliver about 15 quilts to Disabled Vets on Saturday 5/27 at the DAV open house in Highlands. All members are welcome to attend.

Block Lotto: no report. Laura will ask Donna to provide directions to the current block to post them online.

Programs: More sign-ups are needed for “Spotlight on a Quilter .” the September program will feature Sue Stone from Needle in a Fabric Stash. She will have a trunk show and a pop-up shop. There will be no sale table in September.

The agenda for the June meeting will be:
Lunch from 11:30 – 1:00 at the Lazy Dog in Ontario; Laura will host and all members are invited to attend
Room set up beginning at noon; Gayle and Pat will arrive at noon to arrange tables and chairs
Members can view the “birthday cake” prior to the meeting
The raffle table will be set up before the meeting starts
Laura will conduct the 5 questions game
Block lotto will be presented
Volunteers for refreshments for July will be solicited
The charity table will be set up for members who took pillow case kits but there will be no table sales or show and share
Flyers for the QuiltCutII will be available
Refreshment break
Speaker
Q & A

The July meeting program is not yet decided. Rachel suggested having a quilt critique: 4 stations with a quilt from the Word challenge at each station, and members rotate among the stations and discuss the quilts. Volunteers will be solicited as they bring their quilts to the July meeting. Gayle will run the July meeting as Laura will be out of town.

Ideas for future meetings include : how to attach a sleeve to a quilt for presentation; Linda Rasmussen, quilt judge; and a speaker from the Coachella guild, for whom Candy Scott has contact information; mini-quilt workshop by Jessica Cook (this may be a better idea for a workshop or a sew-day).

The September meeting will feature Dave Lindquist of Make it Sew on long arm machine use and rental. November will be mini-workshops.

The next meeting will be on Monday, June 19 6:30 at the Joann’s Fabrics in Ontario. Cindy will call and reserve the room.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:15.

Respectfully submitted,

Cindy Chrisler, Secretary

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s