Minutes · Minutes General Board

July 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting
July 17, 2017
Joann’s Fabrics Classroom, 4470 Ontario Mills Parkway, Ontario, CA

Present: Gayle Bennett, Treasurer; Cindy Chrisler, Secretary; Rachel McGee, Charity; Jessica Cook, Media (Facebook); Donna Gaston, Block Lotto; Rachel Rogers, Media (website); Cat Wallace; Pat Klassen, Greeter and Hospitality. Laura Greene, President, and Tricia Williams, Membership, were unable to attend. The meeting was called to order at 6:30. The minutes of the last meeting (June 19, 2017) were approved (Gayle Bennett, Rachel Rogers).

Programs: The speaker for August had to cancel, but Gayle has arranged for a longarm demonstration by Dave Benquist of Dave’s Make It Sew. He will bring a machine to the meeting. Cat Wallace is scheduled to speak on longarm quilting in September, when the “Go Big” challenge will be due. The October meeting will feature Sue Stone of Needle in a Fabric Stash and her pop up shop. November will have mini workshops: Donna Gaston will demonstrate a woven background, Jessica Cook will demonstrate quilting on a medium arm, and Gayle Bennett will demonstrate walking foot quilting. The December meeting will be a holiday potluck. Judy Stevens will demonstrate fabric post cards at the January or February meeting. A potential professional speaker, Linda Rasmussen, will be considered for a later date. The guild needs a VP for Programs, and Cat Wallace will consider filling the position.

Because the guild is now having trouble keeping our meetings to two hours, Gayle suggested that we alternate the presentations for Transitioning Quilter and Spotlight Quilter between meetings, instead of having both.

Table Sales: It is unclear who is in charge of table sales. Gayle ended up taking excess items with her after the last meeting. Gayle reminded the board that donations to IEMQG are tax deductible.

Treasurer’s Report: Gayle reported that the guild has $1456.78 in the checking account. The guild currently has 41 members, including the two who joined last month. Upcoming bills include MQG dues ($550 if we have fewer than 45 members) and SCCQG insurance and dues. She anticipates that the guild will have about $300 to roll over to the next fiscal year.

Raffles: The QuiltCut II is not generating much revenue in ticket sales. The guild also received a donation of the program EQ7. It is valued at over $100 on various sites; however, there is little interest in having it as a raffle item. Gayle will look into selling it on eBay with proceeds going to the guild.

Block Lotto: Donna Gaston chose a fish on point for the next block lotto. The design is by a guild in Florida and is being used with their permission. This block will be due in September. There will be no block lotto for October, November, or December.

Charity: Rachel McGee will try to set up a sewing day with other groups that sew for Disabled Veterans. The DV has a room at their facility which can be used for sew days. There are no sew days scheduled at present. She has not received many donations for DVs at the past few meetings, and it was suggested that we have another vet come and tell the guild about the impact of our donations to their group, or have Rachel speak about how donations are used to make it more personal to members.

Secretary: Cindy needs to find someone to take minutes at the general meeting as she will be out of town. Gayle kindly agreed to make notes at the August general meeting.

VP Communications: Rachel Rogers can post items on the website, but does not have the time to research items for publication (like dates of events, Spotlight quilters, etc). If a board member has something to post, send it to her copy-ready to post. Rachel would like to delegate the calendar, and Gayle Bennett said she will help with that.
Challenges: the next challenge, “Go Big,” is due at the September meeting. Some members feel that we have too many challenges. This can be discussed further at future meetings.

Media (Facebook): Jessica Cook reported that she has created events on Facebook for IEMQG members, but no one “attended” them.
Hospitality: Pat Klassen has two people signed up for bringing refreshments. Discussion was held regarding beverages. Jessica Cook moved to have the guild provide 8 oz water bottles, second by Rachel McGee, approved by unanimous consent. Gayle will purchase bottled water to use at the next general meeting.

The next meeting will be on Monday, August 14 at 6:30 at the Joann’s Fabrics in Ontario. Cindy will reserve the room.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:45.

Respectfully submitted,
Cindy Chrisler, Secretary

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s