Guild Mini Mod Swap
Berene Campbell of Happy Sew Lucky introduced the guild swap project. Below are the key points of her presentation:
- Fundraiser for scholarships to BIPOC, LGBTQ2SL+ and Indigenous people from Canada. (Where Berene lives)
- Berene has spoken to many guilds and raised over $10,000 so far.
- She shared photos of two recent scholarship recipients.
- Donate $5 by pay pal to the guild or a check to Candy. The guild will send one check to Berene.
- Additional donations can be made here.
Berene has designed the mini block patterns and the blocks finish at 2″x 2″. Some blocks are simple, like a four-patch or cross blocks, some are paper pieced and some are curved.
If you participate:
- You will select a color group (warm, cool, or neutral).
- You will select a background color (black, white, or gray).
- You will receive a set of patterns.
- You can get construction tips from Berene’s tutorials on YouTube.
- You will make six blocks for yourself, and six blocks for four others in your group, a total of thirty blocks.
- You will mail six blocks to each person, and you will receive six blocks from each person in your group, until you end up with thirty blocks.
- You can use them to make a small quilt, or any number of projects suggested on her website
- The projects are yours to keep.
- You will receive an email from the inland empire modern quilt guild asking if you want to participate.
- The email will include relevant due dates.
- You will select your colors and provide a mailing address.
- Once the groups are formed, you will receive all the directions, dates, and resources for help to complete your blocks.
The guild will have a show and share of the projects from this mini mod swap at our December meeting.
RETREAT AT VINA DE LESTONNAC: As a reminder our annual retreat this year is November 8, 9, and 10. There are a couple of spots available – if you are interested in joining the retreat, contact Barbara to reserve a spot. We are taking reservations from non-guild members at this time as well.
QUILTCON COMMUNITY QUILT OUTREACH CHALLENGE: Our guild is making a group quilt to hang at QuiltCon in Phoenix in February 2022. To participate, contact Patti or Lynn to receive a package of fabric, triangle template, and directions. As a recap, each participant is making six triangles and returning them by September 18, at the next Meet & Eat. You can also return the triangles by mail. The layout of the triangles/hexagons will be a joint project at the retreat in November. For additional information please refer to the QuiltCon Group Challenge information packet
MEET & EAT: The next Meet & Eat is scheduled for Saturday, September 18, 2021. We’ll be meeting from 9 am to 1 pm. Bring your lunch, a chair, show and shares, group quilt triangles and join your quilty friends at the SSgt. Salvador J. LaraCasa Blanca Library (Note the meeting time has changed in order to avoid the extreme heat in the middle of the afternoon).
CHURN DASH BLOCK CHALLENGE: This is your opportunity to work with an alternate grid and/or other elements of a modern quilt! All that’s need to participate is a photo of your quilt top or finished quilt. All entries due by the Wednesday before the October meeting. Send a photo to Laura at the guild’s email address, firstname.lastname@example.org.
“See” you next month – stay cool!