March is National Quilting Month and March 18th is National Quilting Day. Find ways to celebrate our craft like hanging your quilts proudly in your home or even outside! Make a charity quilt! Share your quilting skills with quilty friends! Let us know how you are celebrating National Quilting Day. Share with us on Facebook and Instagram.
This month we started the celebration by revealing our members’ 2022 Block-of-the-Month quilts, reviewing QuiltCon and enjoying some fantastic Show and Share items from our talented members. It’s all summarized right here so you don’t have to miss anything. Make sure and read all the way to the end so you don’t miss any important announcements.
The 2022 Block of the Month program was designed and lead by member Evelyn Rienstra. She was inspired by Los Angeles mid century modern architecture like that of the “Hollywood Metro Apartments” that mimic the art of Dutch painter Piet Mondrian. All 12 of Evelyn’s block patterns are available on Members Corner. See below how each quilter infused their own artistic style into their finished quilts and quilt tops. Isn’t it amazing that each of these quilts came from the same set of block patterns?
IEMQG member, Michelle Nichols presented a review of the quilts at QuiltCon 2023 in Atlanta, GA. She noted that a big trend this year was the use of colored quilting thread to enhance the the color and texture of quilts.
IEMQG member, Carl Brown had his quilt, “New Beginnings” juried into QuiltCon in the Small Quilts division. Congratulations, Carl!
To see more of the quilts from from QuiltCon be sure to visit the MQG website and follow #quiltcon2023 on Instagram.
March Block of the Month
Here is our Block of the Month. You may make it any size and with any color palette. For more details visit our 2023 BOM page here.
Show and Share
- It’s not too late to become a 2023 member. The cost is $45 and includes one book of Opportunity Quilt raffle tickets. Go to Members’ Corner or email us at iemodernquiltguild.@gmail.com for more information.
- Sign-ups have started for our 2023 Retreat, November 6-9th at Vina de Lestonnac. Total cost is $445, and includes four nights and all meals. Deposit of $100 required. Go to Members’ Corner for more information.
- Drop-in Sew via Zoom. Link goes out the Sunday before. March 13th and 27th, 7 – 9pm.
- Free online classes hosted by Latifa Saafir 7 ways to use a clammy Sign up now. Classes begin March 20th
- Saturday April 1st Meeting, Arlanza Library and on Zoom. Guest Speaker IEMQG member Debi Gardner.
- Sunday June 4th Meeting: Guest Speaker, Veruschka Zarate of Pride and Joy Quilting.
- Saturday, July 1st Meeting: Modern Wedge Challenge Reveal. Get the details here.
- Fabric of a Nation Exhibit at Skirball Cultural Center now through March 12, 2023. Reservation may be required. Click here for more Info.
You must be logged in to post a comment.