Minutes · Minutes General Board

May 2018 Special Board Meeting Minutes

Inland Empire Modern Quilt Guild
Special Executive Board Minutes
May 5, 2018, 4:30 PM
Arlanza Public Library
8267 Philbin Ave, Riverside, CA 92503

 

Present: Laura, Gayle, Becky, Jen, Trish, Candace, Pat, Alisa

Meeting called to order by President Laura Greene at 4:20

Bylaws Review

Article III Section 1. Active Members: #3.  At end of first sentence, after “free of charge” add “and any additional meetings are $5.  Remove the 2nd and 3rd sentences

Article III Section 2. Affiliate Members: #1. Remove “place of”.  #5 Following “dues” add “and or specifications for advertisements or publications”.

Article III Section 3. Student Members: #1. After “enrolled” add “as a full-time student”.

Article III Section 4. Junior Members: #1. At the end of the sentence add “or be in high school age or below”.

Adding a new section to Membership: “Honorary Members” shall be entitled to all benefits of active members; must have been an integral part in the modern movement or an outstanding contribution to the IEMQG.  The member is awarded by the discretion of the board.  Dues are waived (further conversation needs to address: define, state benefits, $)

Motion moved and accepted.

Article IV Section 1. Dues: #2. Remove “February” and replace with “April”.  #4.  Drop this sentence completely.  #5. After “dues” remove the remainder of the sentence and replace with “remain unpaid are dropped in April”.

Article IV Section 2. Fees:  #3. At end of sentence remove “.” and add “as determined by the executive board.

Motion moved and accepted.

Article V will be discussed at next meeting. Topics to be discussed include posting general minutes/board minutes/special board minutes (like by-laws) on website.

Meeting adjourned 5:00

Next meeting May 23 at Joann’s 6:00.

Respectfully submitted,
Candace Kimball

Blog · Minutes · Minutes General Board

April 2018 Special Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Special Board Meeting Minutes
4-22-18 4:00pm
Mountain Shadows Clubhouse

 

Present: Laura Green, Gail Bennett, Cat Wallace, Jen Adams, Candace Kimball, Trish Williams, Becky Brekke
Meeting called to order by President Laura Greene at 4:09pm

Agenda: Bylaw Jigsaw for April 16

Laura opened with discussion of the difference of bylaws and policies.  Jen passed out a paper that referenced Section 3, items 1,1a-1i, 2, 2a-2d and 3, 3a-3c. It was agreed numerics (1, 2 and 3) are bylaws and the alphas (1a-1i, 2a-2d and 3a-3c) are procedures.  Items 1a-1i as stated on list are approved.  2a add chairperson to responsible people.  3c. files to also include emails.  Board and General minutes when being sent out for posting should also include carbon copy to IE Modern Quilt Guild (IEModernQuiltGuild@gmail.com).  Motion to revise and have Jen add these items to bylaws.  Moved and approved.

Article IX Section 1 President, Laura:  IX Section 1(3) amend to include signing contracts for guild. Motion to revise and have Jen add these items to bylaws.  Moved and approved.

Article IX Section 2 VP Programs, Cat:  IX Section 2(1) amend to include Special Board meetings. IX Section 2 (3) move to Presidents duties in IX Section 1 as additional item.  IX Section 2(4) add to treasurer and president is unavailable.  IX Section 2 add as new item events outside typical meeting places, retreats and workshops. Add responsibility to facilitate contracts/negotiations for guest speakers and special events. Jen will add these items to bylaws.  Motion to revise and have Jen add these items to bylaws.  Moved and approved.

Article IX Section 3 VP Communications, Jen

Article IX Section 4 Treasurer, Gayle:  IX Section 4(6) add/possible new item president will assign audit committee (at least one must be a general member), Note this maybe under procedures. Create a section for Audit Committee. IX Section 4(7) add “In accordance with the National MQG”.  New items: file insurance documents. Responsible for disbursement of all funds. Jen will add these items to bylaws and possible procedures. Motion to revise and have Jen add these items to bylaws and or procedures.  Moved and approved.

Article IX Section 5 Secretary, Candace: IX Section 5(4) move to Treasurer IX Section 4 as a new item, treasurer to be responsible for membership roster.  Motion to revise and have Jen add these items to bylaws.  Moved and approved.

 

Next meeting for bylaws 5/5/18 4:30-5:30 (immediately following General Meeting).

Meeting adjourned 5:05

 

Respectfully submitted,

Candace Kimball

See bylaws on website for details.

Blog

Agenda – Special Meeting of the Board

The IEMQG Executive Board will be reviewing the bylaws at a special meeting after the general meeting from 4:30 to 5:30 pm at the Alranza Library in Riverside. You are welcome to join us, since all Board meetings are public. Here’s our agenda:

Inland Empire Modern Quilt Guild
Special Executive Board Agenda
May 5, 2018 – 4:30
Arlanza Public  Library, 8267 Philbin Ave, Riverside, CA 92503

Bylaws Review

Article III

Section 1. Active Members

Section 2. Affiliate Members

Section 3. Student Members

Section 4. Junior Members, Honorary Members, Other Members

Thanks for you support and understanding,
Laura Greene

Minutes · Minutes General Board

March 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
March 19, 2018 – 6:30 p.m.
Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts, Ontario Mills Circle

Meeting called to order 6:35pm by Cat Wallace

Old Business:

Committee Reports:

VP Programs-April and future reminders April is Negative Space Challenge curated by Linda Rasmussen, (Jen is in New York week before challenge, so she will not have computer access the week before. She will post on website a reminder on Good Friday.)

May is Transitional Quilter with Laura Greene along with Marsha Schuh for Spotlight Quilter.

June’s guest speaker is Natalie Barns. June is also our birthday celebration. Pat will ask June snack people to make arrangements for a cake. Pat will get plates, forks and napkins.

July is Transitional Quilter by Cat Longarmer and Spotlight Quilter is Carlene.

August is Upscaling Sale coordinated by Becky Brekke

Sept is the Song Challenge

Oct is Sue from Needle in a Fabric Stash.

January, Cat is willing to present “Never the Less She Persisted.” A talk she gave at the Upland Library earlier this month.

VP Communications- no old business

Wants to fine tune FB. Working on the qualifying questions for FB.

Treasurer-no old business

Secretary- no old business

Balance is $xxx.xx All debt is paid.

Up-cycling- no old business

Welcome/Refreshments- no old business

Raffle- no old business

Charity- no old business

Membership

Trish to send email to members that haven’t paid yet.

President- 1) Revisit bylaws as jigsaw activity. Each person brings their assigned part to share. Any changes, additions, or policy needs? Bylaws and Policies are tabled for next month. The reviewing process was changed. It will be a group review. We will do section 9 first, followed by a different section the following months. It will be emailed to all members for group discussion at the next meeting.

 

New Business:

Treasurer-retreat

Gayle researched website “Gather at the Hive” in Fallbrook, holds 16 people. Available dates are: 9/21-23 (Third choice), 10/19-21 (First choice), 10/26-28, 11/9-11 (Second choice). $156.25 and provide own food. 10 am Fri-4 pm Sunday. $250 deposit, motion made by Pat, second by Cat. Will provide an interest list at April meeting.

Secretary- thank you notes

Send note to Jessica. Group saw pics of TY cards and decided to keep and use that style. Jen will donate note card stock and Becky will donate envelopes.

President- announcements from member times and appropriateness Wants to put a display of mini-quilts at the Coffee Klatch. Bring minis to June meeting. 120” diameter or smaller. Must have a 4” sleeve from a 9 ½” piece of fabric. Laura to Email Jen instructions for appropriate sleeve to post on website.

President- April agenda

Do the Negative Space Challenge after break. Gayle’s husband will take photos of the challenge quilts for the website.

Set a time at end of meeting for announcements from guests. Pat to provide a list at sign-in desk for announcements they wish to be made.

 

Tentative IEMQG General Meeting Agenda
April 7, 2018
2:00pm – 4:00pm
Community Center, Grand Terrace
22795 Barton Rd, Grand Terrace, CA 92313

  1. Welcome – Warm-up
  2. “I think spring quilts must have bright colors and bold shapes.”
  3. Committee Reports
  4. Program Announcements (Cat Wallace)
  5. May meeting
  6. June meeting
  7. Challenge (Gayle Bennett)
  8. Song Title Challenge drawing during break
  9. Block Lotto (Shelley Wardrop) – Announcement and raffle
  10. Sit and Sew – April 22nd 9:00am – 5:00pm Mountain Shadows (Tricia Williams)
  11. Upcycling Event (Becky Brekke)
  12. Refreshments Sign-up (Pat Klassen)
  13. Break: Visit and Snacks
  14. Negative Space (Judged by Linda Rasmussen)
  15. Charity (Aimee French)
  16. Show and Share
  17. Raffles
  18. Fat Quarter Raffle (Candace Kimball)
  19. Name Tag Raffle (Pat Klassen)

Next meeting April 16, 6:30 p.m. at Jo-Ann’s – Dinner prior at 5:45 at Panera’s restaurant on 4th west of Lazy Dog Café

Meeting adjourned 7:53pm

Respectfully submitted,

Candace Kimball

Minutes · Minutes General Board

February 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

Inland Empire Modern Quilt Guild Executive Board Minutes
February 19, 2018
Joann’s Fabric and Craft, Ontario Gateway Center, 4470 Ontario Mills Pkwy, Ontario, CA 91764

PRESENT:  Laura Greene, Gayle Bennett, Cat Wallace, Candace Kimball, Trish Williams,  Jen Adams, Becky Brekke

Review and accept January meeting minutes for approval Meeting was called to order by Laura at 6:37pm.  Minutes from general meeting were approved and posted.

Committee Reports: Becky: Upcycling is set for August 4 at Mountain Shadows.  The room is reserved from 12pm-5pm (2pm-4pm for the public).  Becky is considering also selling baked goods.

Programs: Cat confirmed programs for the next 5 months are set. Cat will be changing her presentation in July to “Transition Quilter” and will reach out to other members for anyone interested in presenting “Spotlight Quilter” on their favorite modern quilter. Cat would still like to give a presentation and will schedule that when she is prepared to do so. Attendees agreed to have the program for August be only Upcycle at Mountain Shadows in Highland.  September is Challenge “Song Title” with Linda Rasmussen. October is Sue Stone – Needle in a Fabric Stash? (Sue not confirmed yet).  November is Member University and December is Holiday Party.
Laura shared information from Lynn Hanna about the International Art Guild and their traveling trunk show.  The staff showed lots of interest so she will pursue the event.

Communications: Becky posted on Instagram a little Valentine’s Day cartoon and she had 40 ‘likes’ her intent being exploring the interests of viewers.
Jen had a conversation with Jessica about Facebook and possibly asking questions to website visitors in exploring the idea of attending a meeting. Jen passed out a printed communications Website Changes for the Month and File Storage.  It reads as follows:
Calendar: updated calendar for all IEMQG general meetings (monthly) for 2018; Added November and December meetings with Mountain Shadows location; Meet the Teachers event.
Block Lotto: General Information page added with verbiage by Shelley. 2018 Challenges: General page added as a Blog post with information regarding 2018 Negative
Space and Song Title Challenges – includes due dates.
Set-up File Storage and all documents have been moved over to the new system: No charge until we exceed 15MB; Website used was Google Drive-drive.google.com; Password/access to be emailed to the Board members. All documents should be saved to this shared drive in the appropriate folders.  No documents should be saved on personal computers going forward.

Treasurer: Budget was accepted via email.  $1,905!

Secretary: Candace requested discussion for the procedure to approve minutes.  It was decided the minutes will be posted within 1 week of the meeting.  Need 3 board members approval to post.  Send to committee members for input.  Because of format limitations in our storage site Jen requested the minutes contain no tabs, fancy spacing or underlining.

Membership:  Trish added tab for original membership date.  Will add “updated on” date at top of page

New Business: Laura presented the Agenda for March’s General Meeting.  It was approved and reads as follows:
Welcome – Warm-up  “I currently make more modern quilts than traditional?”
Committee Reports  Programs (Cat Wallace): Upland Library Woman’s History Month; Nevertheless She Persisted March 14 at 6:00PM, quilts needed for display; July program – In need of a Spotlight Quilter Presentation Challenges (Gayle Bennett): April program – Negative Space Due, judged by Linda Rasmussen;
Song Title Challenge Block Lotto (Shelley Wardrop): announcements and raffle
Sit and Sew (Tricia Williams): April 22, 9:00am-5:00pm
Upcycling Event (Becky Brekke)
Refreshments Sign-up (Pat Klassen)
Break,
Visit and Snacks
Making Meaning of QuiltCon Quilts (Lynn Hanna)
Charity (Aimee French)
Show and Share Raffles Fat Quarters (Candace Kimball) Name Tag (Pat Klassen)
Remember to bring your Show and Share, Name Tab, Charity Items and membership fee if you are reregistering this month.  Thanks for joining us!

Revisit bylaws Laura passed out talk topics for next months’ meeting.  Becky was given policies to review.
Next meeting is set for Monday, March 19, 2018 at 6:30pm. Adjourned 7:45

Respectfully submitted,
Candace Kimball

Minutes · Minutes General Board

January 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

Inland Empire Modern Quilt Guild
Executive Board Minutes
January 22, 2018 – 6:30pm
Joann’s Fabric and Craft
Ontario Gateway Center, 4470 Ontario Mills Pkwy, Ontario, CA 91764

 

Members Present: Laura Greene, Gayle Bennett, Cat Wallace, Pat Klassen, Candace Kimball, and Trish Williams

Review and accept January meeting minutes for approval.
Motion voted and approved for December Board Meeting and January General Meeting minutes.

Committee/Sub-Committee Reports:
VP Programs-Cathleen Wallace
Jessica Cook’s ‘Go Modern-Go Mini’ quilts- contact Jen to add blurb on website

March meeting Lynn Hanna -Post Quilt Con Presentation
Rasmussen is presenter in April for Negative Space Challenge.  Make an announcement to members to bring “A quilt” to March meeting for Upland Library Exhibit.
May is Laura instead of Pat for Transitional Quilter.

VP Communications-Jen (absent, but Gayle has info. on storage space purchase, Vista Print calling cards)
If the board has information that needs to go out to the members, please flag Jen to disperse to one or all as needed and/or post to the website.

Secretary-Candace
Minutes taken at the general meeting are to contain information given at the meeting only.
General meeting minutes are not to include funds earned by raffle.

Treasurer-Gayle
30 people have paid 2018 membership fees to date ($1200). Anticipates another 20 people. Dues and raffles this year should be $2,600. Starting the year with $1,871- all bills paid!
Propose purchasing cloud storage for the guild. It will cost $1.99 per month. Voted and approved.
Discussion about upgrading promotional guild material from low-grade paper to higher quality product, the intended use of material (like Quiltcon) and possible costs associated with it. Promotional printing is approved for $100.

Membership-Tricia
Contact Jenn regarding roster and people not registered yet.  Add a “registered since column” in membership roster

Refreshments-Pat
Pass around a sign-up sheet at the meeting.

Charity-Vacant
Considering Amy French and Lisa Holmes for Charity Chairperson.

Facebook-Jessica – Absent

Block Lotto-Shelley
Everyone participating (1 block = 1 ticket) gets a ticket that will be used for a December drawing. Dark Month for block lotto in April and September.

Donation Table Sales-Vacant
Group discussion about raising additional funds resulted in “Upcycling Fundraiser” for August meeting. This is in lieu of the
fundraiser table.  Need chairperson for “Upcycling Fundraiser”. Upcycling is a fundraiser event selling donated modern used/modern new
goods at the August meeting.  Members encouraged to bring modern sellable stuff, then all leftovers to be donated.

New Business:
Sit and Sew; February 11
Using FB as an advertising tool, to promote the activity the board plans to chat on FB about the activity.

Challenges; Negative Space, Song Title
Start drawing at March meeting for a song. You can purchase a second drawing for $5.

IEMQG Quilt Exhibits; Upland Library, Upland Tearoom
Teacups and Treasures, a new venue to possibly exhibit quilts: just opened, sparse decorations.
Coffee Klatch is June. Consider exhibiting Negative Space items, need quilts with sleeves.
See Upland Library below

Upland Library Presentation, March 14, 6 pm
Group discussion about the topic of discussion at the library, what to talk about. Laura read the theme of the activity and the
consensus was we wanted something about successful business women in the quilting community.
Theme “Never the Less She Persisted”
Interview and research several women who have prospered in quilting.
March meeting for presentation in Upland library.

SCCQG Meet the Teacher
April 14; 9 am to 2 pm in Carson at the Carson Community Center
Free if no lunch is eaten. Lunch is $15 (sandwich and drink).
Invite membership to attend the meeting. It is a great resource for future speakers.

February Meeting Agenda
Open meeting with discussion about did Road have enough Modern Quilts
Bring quilt for upland library
Looking for upcycling coordinator
List committee chairmanship on website
Meet teachers
Challenges
Jessica Cook will do modern minis presentation
Show and tell
Eat

Adjournment
Next meeting – Feb 19, Joann’s at 6:30, Pollo Loco 5:45

Respectfully submitted,
Candace Kimball