All About Curves!
Our April meeting was in person and well attended! We had so much fun learning to sew curves! Guild secretary, Lynn Hanna, taught us to make gentle improve curves by overlapping two pieces of fabric, cutting a gentle curve via rotary cutter, and then sewing with right sides together. It was really that simple! Programs Vice President, Laura Greene, showed us how to turn fabric under for appliquéd curves using card stock for a pattern and aluminum foil for turning the fabric. We all left the meeting having mastered rolling hills and beautiful sunsets. These new skills are sure to help us with our July Round About Challenge .
Block of the Month
Evie revealed the April Block of the Month (BOM), and explained that her inspiration for this year’s BOM program comes from modern architecture. Read more about the BOM Here. You will find all the BOM patterns in Member’s Corner.
Join us in May for our Collage Workshop!
Please join us Saturday, May 7th from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm at Lake Mathews Community Center for a sure-to-be-fun no-sewing Collage Workshop by Barbara Mathews (supply list below). Barbara will share all her tips and tricks and you may end up with a “ready-to-quilt” project by the end of class. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend. Our meeting will follow. We’ll share creative ways to up-cycle orphan blocks.
Collage Workshop Supplies
- A pattern (available in most quilt stores, Etsy, and Amazon) or draw you own!
- A good variety of scrap fabrics
- Plenty of Steam-a-Seam 2 (enough for all your applied fabrics- 3 or 4 yards)
- A light weight, non-woven fusible interfacing (at least as big as your pattern)
- a Sharpie and #2 pencil
- Good fabric scissors (like Karen K Buckley, sufficient for making detailed fabric cuts)
- Rotary cutter and mat
- Please email us if you have questions!!!
Dates to Remember
- April 11th and 25th – Drop-in Sew 7:00 to 9:00 pm. Check Members Corner and your email for Zoom Link
- April 16th – Meet and Eat via Zoom – Drop-in sew, eat, and Show-and-Share,
- May 7th – 9:00 am Collage Workshop by Barbara Mathews and 2:00 pm General Meeting IN PERSON at Lake Mathews Community Room
- June 4th – General Meeting in person at Arlington Library and via Zoom. Guest Speaker Sheila Frampton Cooper and IEMQG Birthday Celebration
- July 2nd – Round About Challenge Reveal. Click here for details. Round About Challenge
- November 7-10 – Retreat at Vina De Lestonnac. $410 per person includes all meals and lodging. Reserve your spot with a $100 deposit. Registration form in Members Corner
Show and Share
Some of our talented members showed quilts with curves. Lots of inspiration for the Round About Challenge.
Show and Share was overflowing with inspiration.
You must be logged in to post a comment.