Minutes · Minutes General Board

August 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting
August 14, 2017
Joann’s Fabrics Classroom, 4470 Ontario Mills Parkway, Ontario, CA

Present: Laura Greene, President; Gayle Bennett, Treasurer; Cindy Chrisler, Secretary; Pat Klassen, Greeter Tricia Williams, Membership; Candace Kimball, Raffle Chair; Cat Wallace, VP Progrmas (by the end of the meeting). Rachel McGee and Jessica Cook, Charity; Rachel Rogers, Media; and Donna Gaston, Block Lotto, were unable to attend. The meeting was called to order at 6:30.
The next sit and Sew will be held on Sunday, September 10 from 9 – 5 at the Mountain Shadows Mobile Home Community, 4040 Piedmont Dr. in Highland. All members are welcome to attend.

Treasurer: Sue Rasmussen, proposed speaker for the January meeting, usually charges $300 plus mileage for her presentation. She may reduce the fee or waive the mileage charge for our guild. Pat moved, second by Tricia, to contact Sue Rasmussen and negotiate a fee of no more than $300 to present her talk in January. The motion was approved by unanimous consent.
The guild currently has a balance in the checking account of $1569.78. Table sales and raffles at the last meeting netted $113. SCCQG dues and fees are due in September. Cindy moved, second by Pat, to approve the payment of $40 in dues and $3.25 per member in insurance fees to SCCQG. The motion was approved by unanimous consent.
Gayle successfully filed a 990N for the guild. This is the annual tax e-filing with the IRS for non-profits which gross less than $50,000/year.

MQG dues need to be renewed in December or January. Gayle will develop a new membership form for 2018. She suggested that we create a PayPal account so members can pay via PayPal. Gayle and Laura feel this will increase our membership. Members will still need to fill out a form, and Gayle will look into creating a fillable form via Adobe.

The guild’s fee structure was discussed. Cindy moved, second by Gayle, to keep the price structure as $40 for annual dues, $20 for half year dues, and $5 for guests on the second visit (first visit is free). The motion was approved by unanimous consent.
Communications: Rachel Rogers was unable to attend, but let Laura know that she is not able to maintain the website with as much complexity as she originally wanted. The website will be mostly informational, and links to Instagram, blogs, etc will be minimized.

Hospitality: Pat expressed concern about refreshments. After much discussion, it was decided that the guild will continue to provide water, and members will be asked to provide snacks. If we have snacks, that’s great; if not, we just won’t eat. Pat would like to encourage members to wear permanent name tags. She is running out of adhesive tags and will purchase more. The board decided to have door prizes exclusively for members who wear a permanent name badge, items to be selected from donations for raffle or sale by the guild. Pat will purchase double raffle tickets for this purpose, not yellow or blue, which are used for other raffles.

Sale Table: no report.

Charity: no report

Block Lotto: no report.

Raffle: After discussion, the board decided to sell the donated EQ7 program rather than raffle it, as the guild could make more money. Prices on various websites for EQ7 range from $150 – $190. Gayle will look into selling it on EBay. A ruler with a cutter has been donated; it will be saved for a raffle in January. The QuiltCut2 will be demonstrated at the November meeting during the “Quilt University,” and will be raffled at the December meeting. Candace still has 3 packages of fat quarters. Gayle received a donation of a bundle of fat quarters from a quilt shop in Paso Robles which will be used as a raffle prize, and Candace has a jelly roll which she will raffle in December.
Programs: In addition to adding the Quilt Cut 2 demonstration, Laura Greene will also demonstrate “wonky flying geese.” This will bring the number of demonstrations to 5. Cat graciously agreed to fill the office of VP for programs. Cat will present her program on longarm quilting at the September meeting. She will require an extension cord and a viewing screen for her power point presentation. The title of her presentation is “modern quilting in negative spaces.” She will also have three large quilts to show.

The Holiday Party (December meeting) will be held at the community room of the Mountain Shadows Mobile Home Park. The room will be decorated, so the guild will not have that expense. Cat will form a committee to plan the event; suggestions include LRC with fat quarters; an ornament exchange; a cookie recipe exchange; and cookies and finger food for refreshments. Tricia moved, and Pat second, that the guild spend no more than $200 for holiday meeting supplies. The motion was approved by unanimous consent.

The Transitioning Quilter and Spotlight Quilter segments, which were initially introduced to fill program time, are becoming unnecessary for all meetings. The next meeting that needs extra segments is in February. Marcia Shuh has agreed to present a talk on Marilyn Badger. Gayle will contact Marcia and ask if she will be willing to give that presentation in February. Laura Greene is the next Transitioning Quilter on the list.

Cat will contact Jessica Cook about making a 30 minute presentation on her miniature quilts, and then holding a miniature quilt workshop later the same month. This is a potential program for February 2018.
QuiltCon is coming up. The guild will consider asking members to attend on the same day and possibly meet for lunch at the Pasadena Convention Center.

Challenge: Go Big quilts are due in September. There is no venue for exhibition scheduled for this challenge. The next challenge, which will be due in March, will be Negative Space. Gayle and Laura will look for an exhibition venue for this challenge, such as the Upland Library. The guild will have three challenges next year, due in March, July, and October or November. The program for those months will be a member discussion of the submissions.

SCCQG: the next meeting is in October and the topic will be fundraising. Laura will attend on behalf of the guild and will take bookmarks.
The guild needs to form a nominating committee for officers for 2019.
The next meeting will be on Monday, September 18 6:30 at the Joann’s Fabrics in Ontario. Cindy will call and reserve the room.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00.

Respectfully submitted,
Cindy Chrisler, Secretary

Minutes · Minutes General Board

July 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting
July 17, 2017
Joann’s Fabrics Classroom, 4470 Ontario Mills Parkway, Ontario, CA

Present: Gayle Bennett, Treasurer; Cindy Chrisler, Secretary; Rachel McGee, Charity; Jessica Cook, Media (Facebook); Donna Gaston, Block Lotto; Rachel Rogers, Media (website); Cat Wallace; Pat Klassen, Greeter and Hospitality. Laura Greene, President, and Tricia Williams, Membership, were unable to attend. The meeting was called to order at 6:30. The minutes of the last meeting (June 19, 2017) were approved (Gayle Bennett, Rachel Rogers).

Programs: The speaker for August had to cancel, but Gayle has arranged for a longarm demonstration by Dave Benquist of Dave’s Make It Sew. He will bring a machine to the meeting. Cat Wallace is scheduled to speak on longarm quilting in September, when the “Go Big” challenge will be due. The October meeting will feature Sue Stone of Needle in a Fabric Stash and her pop up shop. November will have mini workshops: Donna Gaston will demonstrate a woven background, Jessica Cook will demonstrate quilting on a medium arm, and Gayle Bennett will demonstrate walking foot quilting. The December meeting will be a holiday potluck. Judy Stevens will demonstrate fabric post cards at the January or February meeting. A potential professional speaker, Linda Rasmussen, will be considered for a later date. The guild needs a VP for Programs, and Cat Wallace will consider filling the position.

Because the guild is now having trouble keeping our meetings to two hours, Gayle suggested that we alternate the presentations for Transitioning Quilter and Spotlight Quilter between meetings, instead of having both.

Table Sales: It is unclear who is in charge of table sales. Gayle ended up taking excess items with her after the last meeting. Gayle reminded the board that donations to IEMQG are tax deductible.

Treasurer’s Report: Gayle reported that the guild has $1456.78 in the checking account. The guild currently has 41 members, including the two who joined last month. Upcoming bills include MQG dues ($550 if we have fewer than 45 members) and SCCQG insurance and dues. She anticipates that the guild will have about $300 to roll over to the next fiscal year.

Raffles: The QuiltCut II is not generating much revenue in ticket sales. The guild also received a donation of the program EQ7. It is valued at over $100 on various sites; however, there is little interest in having it as a raffle item. Gayle will look into selling it on eBay with proceeds going to the guild.

Block Lotto: Donna Gaston chose a fish on point for the next block lotto. The design is by a guild in Florida and is being used with their permission. This block will be due in September. There will be no block lotto for October, November, or December.

Charity: Rachel McGee will try to set up a sewing day with other groups that sew for Disabled Veterans. The DV has a room at their facility which can be used for sew days. There are no sew days scheduled at present. She has not received many donations for DVs at the past few meetings, and it was suggested that we have another vet come and tell the guild about the impact of our donations to their group, or have Rachel speak about how donations are used to make it more personal to members.

Secretary: Cindy needs to find someone to take minutes at the general meeting as she will be out of town. Gayle kindly agreed to make notes at the August general meeting.

VP Communications: Rachel Rogers can post items on the website, but does not have the time to research items for publication (like dates of events, Spotlight quilters, etc). If a board member has something to post, send it to her copy-ready to post. Rachel would like to delegate the calendar, and Gayle Bennett said she will help with that.
Challenges: the next challenge, “Go Big,” is due at the September meeting. Some members feel that we have too many challenges. This can be discussed further at future meetings.

Media (Facebook): Jessica Cook reported that she has created events on Facebook for IEMQG members, but no one “attended” them.
Hospitality: Pat Klassen has two people signed up for bringing refreshments. Discussion was held regarding beverages. Jessica Cook moved to have the guild provide 8 oz water bottles, second by Rachel McGee, approved by unanimous consent. Gayle will purchase bottled water to use at the next general meeting.

The next meeting will be on Monday, August 14 at 6:30 at the Joann’s Fabrics in Ontario. Cindy will reserve the room.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:45.

Respectfully submitted,
Cindy Chrisler, Secretary

Minutes · Minutes General Board

May 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting
May 22, 2017
Joann’s Fabrics Classroom, 4470 Ontario Mills Parkway, Ontario, CA

Present: Laura Greene, President; Gayle Bennett, Treasurer; Cindy Chrisler, Secretary; Pat Klassen, Greeter. Rachel McGee and Jessica Cook, Charity; Rachel Rogers, Media; Tricia Williams, Membership; Candace Kimball, Raffle Chair; and Donna Gaston, Block Lotto were unable to attend. The meeting was called to order at 6:30. The minutes of the last meeting (April 17, 2017) were approved.

Laura discussed the timing of meeting activities for the June meeting. She asked how other quilt guilds run their meetings and got input from Citrus Belt Quilters and Nite Owls. Show and Share will be start around 3:45. The refreshment break will not exceed 15 minutes. Laura will announce that we can extend the meeting to 4:30 if we need to run over. We have to be out of the room by 5:00. The doors will open at 1:30 and the meeting will start at 2:05. Business items will be first on the agenda, and president’s announcements will be limited to 10 minutes. Shelley Waddup will bring a half sheet birthday cake to celebrate the guild’s first anniversary. Pat and Gayle will get the plates, cups, cutlery, and napkins . Pat will send out reminders to those who agreed to bring other refreshments. Laura estimates we will have up to 50 people attend the meeting.Pat requested that Laura make an announcement at the June meeting for volunteers to bring refreshments for the July meeting.

Secretary: Cindy will have a thank-you card for Latifah Saafir ready to give her at the June meeting.

Membership: no report. Trisha needs to send out an updated roster to all members.

Raffle: Gayle asked if we were getting a sufficient return on purchased items for the raffle. Last month we spent $20 on raffle prizes and sold $34 worth of tickets. Candace will be asked to demonstrate the QuiltCut II offered for raffle and also to make flyers to advertise it. The QuiltCut II will be raffled in December. Gayle examined the EQ7 DVD and book. They are for a PC only and not compatible with Mac. The EQ7 items will be raffled after the QuiltCut II.

Challenges: no report

Treasurer: Gayle cannot process our federal tax return (via e-card) because MQG has not yet updated their records. IEMQG is a branch of MQG, and we use their tax ID number. As soon as MQG updates their records and informs Gayle, she will complete our tax return.

Communications: Deb Ulrey had been managing the Instagram account but is no longer a member. At present no one can post on Instagram for the guild. Cindy was directed to send all minutes to Rachel Rogers to post on the website. Rachel is thinking of encouraging members to visit the website by having some sort of incentive. Gayle proposed that all members be linked to the website so they will get notices.

Hospitality: Pat requested clarification of the duties of the greeter. She has sign-in sheets but doesn’t know what to do with them. She will work with Tricia and have a sign-in sheet that will track up to 6 months of meetings, which will allow a quick scan to track members that regularly attend. Filled forms will be given to the president. The president should announce birthdays and attendance numbers at the meeting.

Sale Table: no report. Income from last month was $20. The sale table will be separate from the raffle table.

Charity: Rachel McGee and Jessica Cook will deliver about 15 quilts to Disabled Vets on Saturday 5/27 at the DAV open house in Highlands. All members are welcome to attend.

Block Lotto: no report. Laura will ask Donna to provide directions to the current block to post them online.

Programs: More sign-ups are needed for “Spotlight on a Quilter .” the September program will feature Sue Stone from Needle in a Fabric Stash. She will have a trunk show and a pop-up shop. There will be no sale table in September.

The agenda for the June meeting will be:
Lunch from 11:30 – 1:00 at the Lazy Dog in Ontario; Laura will host and all members are invited to attend
Room set up beginning at noon; Gayle and Pat will arrive at noon to arrange tables and chairs
Members can view the “birthday cake” prior to the meeting
The raffle table will be set up before the meeting starts
Laura will conduct the 5 questions game
Block lotto will be presented
Volunteers for refreshments for July will be solicited
The charity table will be set up for members who took pillow case kits but there will be no table sales or show and share
Flyers for the QuiltCutII will be available
Refreshment break
Speaker
Q & A

The July meeting program is not yet decided. Rachel suggested having a quilt critique: 4 stations with a quilt from the Word challenge at each station, and members rotate among the stations and discuss the quilts. Volunteers will be solicited as they bring their quilts to the July meeting. Gayle will run the July meeting as Laura will be out of town.

Ideas for future meetings include : how to attach a sleeve to a quilt for presentation; Linda Rasmussen, quilt judge; and a speaker from the Coachella guild, for whom Candy Scott has contact information; mini-quilt workshop by Jessica Cook (this may be a better idea for a workshop or a sew-day).

The September meeting will feature Dave Lindquist of Make it Sew on long arm machine use and rental. November will be mini-workshops.

The next meeting will be on Monday, June 19 6:30 at the Joann’s Fabrics in Ontario. Cindy will call and reserve the room.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:15.

Respectfully submitted,

Cindy Chrisler, Secretary

Minutes · Minutes General Board

April 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting
April 17, 2017
Joann’s Fabrics Classroom, 4470 Ontario Mills Parkway, Ontario, CA

Present: Laura Greene, President; Gayle Bennett, Treasurer; Cindy Chrisler, Secretary; Tricia Williams, Membership; Candace Kimball, Raffle Chair; Rachel McGee, Charity; Jessica Cook; and Rachel Rogers, Media; Donna Gaston and Pat Klassen were unable to attend. The meeting was called to order at 6:30. The minutes of the last meeting (March 27, 2017) were approved (Gayle, Rachel R).

Secretary: Cindy sent thank you notes to Lynn Hanna and Kim Wingert as per Laura’s request last month. Lynn presented the program at the March meeting based on her trip to QuiltConn East, and Kim gave a lecture on quilting at the Upland Library.

Past President: Michele congratulated Laura for doing a good job this year.

Membership: Tricia reported that the guild has 44 members. Tricia will sub for Pat at the membership table when Pat is unavailable.

Raffle: Candace has received a number of donations. She will not be at the June meeting, and will ask at the May general meeting for a volunteer to handle raffles in June.
Challenges: After discussion, the board decided on the following themes for the next two challenges. The challenge due in September will have the theme “go big” and the challenge due in December will be “quilting in negative space.”

Treasurer: Gayle reported that the $150 check made to the City of Grand Terrace will not be cashed, they just hold it as a deposit for using the meeting room. Gayle will add that money back into the account. Fundraisers at the last meeting made $121 at the last meeting, and the checking account now has $1523 in it. Candace has not yet been reimbursed for raffle prizes, which come to two months at $20 each. Jessica suggested using donations for raffle prizes instead of purchasing items, but Candace wants raffles to coordinate with the quarterly challenge. Gayle has dropped off flyers advertising Latifah Shaffir’s talk in June at the Redlands Sewing Center and Painted Lady; she will also drop some flyers at stores in Upland. Jessica will drop off flyers other shops.

SCCQG: Gayle attended the Meet the Teachers SCCQG meeting on April 9. She found several potential speakers who are local and “modern,” including Sandra Johnson (sashiko/denim); Heidi Stengo (long arm quilting), and Claudia Gomez.

Communications: Rachel Rogers is the Communications Chair for the guild. She can post items on the website via WordPress. She will update the website and link it with the guild’s Instagram account. She plans on posting items on Mondays and Fridays. She would like to use the blog for sponsors, speaker interviews, and patterns. She will post the quarterly challenge on Instagram, take down the sponsor pate, and contact local quilt shops for sponsorships. Jessica will continue to moderate the guild’s Facebook page.

Facebook: Jessica is hosting a virtual sew-day once a month, down from every Sunday.

Hospitality: no report

Sale Table: Helen Matter and Marcia Schuh have agreed to run the sale table.

Charity: Rachel M has 18 quilt labels for charity quilts, and Laura has the rest to sell to members. Labels may be purchased for $1 and can be used for name tags or projects. There are two quilt kits and a quilt top out to be finished by members. The next Sit and Sew will be held on April 23 from 9 – 3 at Rachel’s trailer park community room. They will have a salad pot luck for lunch, and refreshments will be provided. Members can work on their own projects or make pillow cases from kits.

Block Lotto: no report

Programs: Aimee French will coordinate “Spotlight on a Quilter.” She will present Angela Walters at the May meeting. Members will be asked to research a modern quilter and make presentations at future meetings. Judee Koda will coordinate the Transitioning Quilter. Aimee French will be featured in July, and Laura Green will be featured in August. Ideas for future programs will include “Quilt University (mini-workshops), and Jessica will make a presentation on midarm quilting and Laura will present walking foot quilting. Cathy Glendening, who lives and works in Redlands, was suggested as a potential speaker. She works at Redlands Sewing Center and teaches quilting there.

Old Business:

The sandwich board was finished and used to provide direction and signage at the last meeting. The sign received a lot of positive feedback. Jessica presented Gayle with an invoice for the sign and Gayle issued a check to pay for it.

The June meeting will be the guild’s “birthday.” Laura suggested having cake and birthday decorations.

The next meeting will be on Monday, May 22 6:30 at the Joann’s Fabrics in Ontario. Cindy will call and reserve the room.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10.

Respectfully submitted,

Cindy Chrisler, Secretary

Minutes · Minutes General Board

March 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting
March 27, 2017
Joann’s Fabrics Classroom, 4470 Ontario Mills Parkway, Ontario, CA

Present: Laura Greene, President; Gayle Bennett, Treasurer; Cindy Chrisler, Secretary; Michele Nichols, Past President; Tricia Williams, Membership, Candace Kimball, Raffle Chair. Donna Gaston, Rachel McGee, and Jessica Cook were unable to attend. The meeting was called to order at 6:30. The minutes of the last meeting (February 21, 2017) were approved (Gayle, Michele).

Secretary: Cindy had no report. The next meeting was set for April 17 at 6:30 at the same location.

Past President: Michele congratulated Laura for doing a good job this year.

Membership: Tricia has updated the membership list. Debbie Ulray has requested to be removed from the membership list. Tricia forgot the MQG pins at the last general meeting but will make sure to bring them to the next meeting and give them to those who signed up last time. Laura will send a welcoming email to new members and make sure they are enrolled in the national guild.

Raffle: Candace was given information about a cutting system (QuiltCut2) that is being donated by a member to raffle off at the guild. This is a high price item (estimated at over $200), so the raffle will be conducted over three months (April, May, June). People will write their name and phone number on the ticket, and they do not have to be present to win. The winning ticket will be pulled at the end of the June meeting. Other raffle ideas include directed raffles if the guild has several items. The budget for the raffle is $20 per month. Candace will work with the challenge themes for some raffle items. Raffle tickets will be $1 each or 6/$5 for all raffles conducted by the guild.

Challenges: After discussion, the board decided on the following themes for the next two challenges. The challenge due in September will have the theme “go big” and the challenge due in December will be “quilting in negative space.”

Treasurer: the guild has a little over $1500 in the checking account. Gayle reported that Jessica’s sale of her purged items was very successful and raised almost all the remaining money needed to cover the fee for the June speaker. Other fund raising ideas include an opportunity quilt and selling quilts and other items donated by members to the public via social media or public venues (craft shows, fairs, etc). Gayle will look into venues in Ontario where we can sell items without having to pay for a booth. Discussion for selling items through Facebook and Instagram were discussed. The Board would like to create a position for outside sales and find a coordinator for the position. Latifah Saafir has not yet returned her contract to the guild.

Hospitality: members have signed up for refreshments for next month, but we may need more water bottles.

Charity: Jessica and Rachel did not attend; no report.

Sale Table: Michele will run the Sale Table for the April meeting.

Block Lotto: Donna was unable to attend. There is some confusion about the sizes of fabric to bring for the swap. Laura will ask Donna for clarification and send a blast out to members and post it on the guild’s Facebook page.

Programs: The April meeting will feature Lynn Hanna presenting her pictures from QuiltCon East. A projector and screen have been secured for the meeting. The Spotlight Quilter will be Joe Cunningham; Laura has a nice video clip of him to share. Laura would like to have a new segment at the meetings featuring “transitional quilters” in the guild who will use 3 – 4 of their own quilts to show their transition from “traditional” quilts to “modern” quilts. Gayle will be the April Transitional Quilter; Jessica Cook will be asked to present in May; the June meeting is full and this will not be on the program; other members will be approached at meetings as potential Transitional Quilters.

Future programs include Andres Rosales from MQG for May. However, he is not the most motivational speaker and his topic would be general information about MQG and how to navigate their website. Laura will ask Robin Grube to speak in May on the use of the color wheel and general color and design of quilts. Laura will ask Kim Wingert to present a talk on Amish quilts for the July meeting (Kim is giving a talk on quilts at the Upland Library on Tuesday, March 28). Michele suggested contacting Robert Tucker of Coachella Valley Quilt Guild to speak, he is their webmaster and may speak for a minimal fee (lunch, transportation), and Laura will contact him. Gayle will contact Needle in a Fabric Stash for July and The Batty Lady, possibly for August; Tricia will contact Kathy Lee of the Redlands Sewing Center as a potential speaker; and the guild may offer mini-tutorials for a meeting program.

Laura asked the Board members to look at the membership list and select potential program chairs. Names selected include Amiee French, Jaimie Kozaki, Ginger Gabriel, Judee Koda, Cat Wallace, Lisa Homes, and Carleen Drake. Cindy suggested that the position be filled by co-chairs.

The next Sit ‘n Sew will be held on April 22 at the community room of the trailer park at 12830 6th St. in Yucaipa (Rachel McGee’s trailer park). It will be held from 9 a.m. until 3:00ish and lunch will be a pot luck.

The sandwich board discussion is tabled until the next meeting.

The June meeting will be the guild’s “birthday.” Laura suggested having cake and birthday decorations.

Communications: Rachel Rogers has agreed to be the VP of Communications.

The next meeting will be on Monday, April 17 at 6:30 at the Joann’s Fabrics in Ontario. Cindy will call and reserve the room.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:05.
Respectfully submitted,

Cindy Chrisler, Secretary

Minutes · Minutes General Board

February 2017 General Meeting Minutes

IEMQG General Meeting
February 4, 2017
Grand Terrace Community Center

President Laura Greene called the meeting to order at 2:00. A “Get to know you” game was played and Nicole Mundel won the prize.

Announcements: Candace Kimball has graciously agreed to be the raffle chairperson. Sponsor/affiliate forms are available at the sign-in table. The guild is looking for a member to manage the donation table. Jessica Cook has been doing this, but needs to help Rachel McGee with the charity table. The guild is also looking for a volunteer for Vice President of Communications. This volunteer would manage the website using WordPress.

Block Lotto: 20 blocks were turned in today. Donna Gaston urged members to make extra blocks next month to donate to the charity table. Block Lotto will be held every other month.

Programs: Nicole Mundel reminded members that the quarterly President’s challenge will be due at next month’s meeting. She encourages members to post quilt pictures on the guild’s Facebook page and Instagram account. The Temecula Valley MQG is hosting Michelle Hoffman as speaker at their meeting on February 16. Members are encouraged to attend. Nicole announced that guild members are invited to a quilt shop meet-up at noon on March 4 at the Painted Lady in Redlands. Guild members will shop and socialize prior to the meeting at 2:00. This is the same weekend as the Spring Fling. There will be a sit and sew on Saturday, February 18 from noon to 4:00 at Deb Ulrey’s house. Contact Nicole if you want to attend and she will give you the address. BYO sewing machine; Deb can accommodate up to 10 quilters. Nicole has designated every Sunday as a virtual sew day; post your projects on Facebook and Instagram. Quiltcon this year is in Savannah, GA, February 23 – 26. Michele Nichols will present a bed-turning at the March meeting.

Hospitality: volunteers are needed for refreshments for next month; the sign up list is on the refreshment table.

Treasurer: Gayle Bennett presented the budget to the general membership. The budget is based on 40 members. Half of funds in excess of normal business expenses will be allocated for speakers, and the other half will remain in reserve for the next fiscal year. Using an opportunity quilt as a fundraiser was discussed and will be considered in later meetings.

Secretary: Cindy Chrisler has copies of the minutes of the last board meeting and last general meeting for review. Minutes are also posted on the website.

Membership: there are 25 members in attendance today with 2 renewing and 1 new member. There are four guests in attendance. Tricia Williams emailed a roster to all members last month.

Charity: Rachel McGee announced that every donation to charity will entitle the donor to a chance to win a prize. There will be a prize drawing for every five donations.

Modern Quilter Spotlight: Nicole chose Jacque Gering as this month’s Modern Quilter. Jacque teaches classes on Craftsy and has tutorials on her website and YouTube. Nicole passed around a copy of her book on quilting.

After the break, Nicole demonstrated how to make rope baskets. She recommends using a denim or other strong needle. Many members were inspired by her demonstration and are encouraged to bring rope baskets to the next meeting.

Members who participate in the President’s Challenge next month are requested to put a sleeve on the back of their entries so they can be hung for viewing.

About 10 members brought quilts for Show and Share.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:00

Respectfully submitted,

Cindy Chrisler, Secretary

Minutes General Board

January 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting
January 10, 2017
Marie Calendar’s Restaurant, Ontario

Present: Pat Klassen, Gayle Bennett, Treasurer; Debbie Ulrey, Hospitality; Laura Greene, President; Cindy Chrisler, Secretary; Michele Nichols; Rachel McGee and Jessica Cook, Charity; Tricia Williams, Membership. Unable to attend: Donna Gaston, Block Lotto; Nicole Mundal, Programs (Nicole called in at 8:00).

The meeting was called to order at 6:32 and a majority of board members was established. The minutes of the November meeting were approved (Jessica/Pat).

New Business

There was too much content scheduled for the January general meeting. In future meetings, fewer games will be played; the number of Show and Share projects will be noted to allow adequate time; and the layout of the room will be changed to facilitate access to refreshments, the donation table, and raffle/for sale table.

When announcing a challenge, the parameters of the challenge will not be open for discussion at the general meeting.

The first IEMQG sit and sew for the year is scheduled for January 14 at the Ontario Museum. A Free Sew day is scheduled for February 18 at the Mountain Shadows Mobile Home Park in Highland from noon until 4. Members must check in at the entry gate. Parking is available. The room has electrical plugs along the walls and round tables. The March Sit and Sew is yet to be determined. Laura will contact Carolyn Friedlander about using her pattern for paper pieced houses and bring that information to the next board meeting. The board decided that “topics” for Sit and Sews would rotate between free sew, directed projects, and charity projects.

Officer Reports

Communications: Deb has posted pictures on Instagram of quilts shown at the last meeting. Jessica reported that IEMQG has a Facebook page set up by Laura Kong, but Jessica needs the password. Tricia was directed to send Jessica a copy of the roster so she can have the email addresses of all members.

Treasurer: Gayle reported that the Guild currently has $1547.93 in the checking account. National dues will need to be paid in January. Four members are on the rolls but have not paid their dues yet. At present, the Guild has enough money to pay for all required expenses for the year. Laura moved that we pay $550 for dues to the Modern Quilt Guild; second by Trish; motion carried. Fundraisers will allow the guild to have money for professional speakers, and some names were suggested. Michele Nichols suggested Latifah Saafir, and will have Nicole Mundal contact Latifah regarding speaker fees.

The checking account signatures need to be changed. Last year there were only two people authorized to sign checks. Three signatures will be authorized for the account this fiscal year. A motion was made to delete the names of Laura Kong and Gayle Bennet from the authorized signatures on the checking account and add the names of Laura Greene, President; Gayle Bennett, Treasurer, and Cindy Chrisler, Secretary for this fiscal year. The motion passed by unanimous consent (Pat, Deb).

Gayle will procure a state raffle registration from the State of California and will also file an Annual Statement of Information (California).

Secretary: no report

Membership: Tricia was directed to send the current roster to all board members. Pat was directed to send a list of guests at the last general meeting to Laura, who will send them thank-you notes for attending. Tricia was given the MQG pins and membership cards. Tricia was directed to provide a membership list every month to Pat for easier sign-in, and Tricia will sit with Pat to sign in members and guests at meetings.

Charity: Jessica and Rachel have devised a “reward” system for donations: for every 5 donations (quilts) received, they will have a prize drawing. Donations need to be declared prior to Show and Share (several members show a quilt and then say they will donate it to charity). Names of donors will be printed in the newsletter. Rachel needs more pick-up stick blocs for the next block lotto charity quilt. Rachel has a form for donated quilts which includes the value of the quilt.

Hospitality: The system of asking for volunteers to bring water and treats seems to work well.

Block Lotto: Jessica reported for Donna. There is still a problem of how to get directions for blocks to all members. Although the board had decided previously that there would not be a Block Lotto every month, Donna had not been informed. Laura will let Donna know that Block Lotto will be every other month.

Fundraising: the guild needs a volunteer to run the donation table that re-sells magazines, books, and fabrics to members. This volunteer will need to establish guidelines for donations and determine what is to be done with items that do not sell within an established time. A motion was made to spend $20 on a single item to be raffled at the next meeting to see how much money can be raised with a purchased item. After discussion, this motion was approved (Trish/Gayle).

Activities: MQG Region 1 will have an on-line meeting on January 14. Laura will attend to represent IEMQG. The quarterly SCCQG meeting is also on January 14, from 10 – noon in Rancho Cucamonga; Michele and Gayle will attend in person. The April SCCQG meeting is “meet the teachers” and Nicole will be encouraged to attend that meeting, which is held in Carson.

Open Positions: the guild still needs a VP of Communications to run the website and publish the newsletter. Laura will discuss this at the next general meeting. Laura also created a sample sponsorship form.

Deb suggested holding board meetings the same day as general meetings, immediately prior to the meeting. After discussing pros and cons, the board decided not to hold board meetings and general meetings on the same day.

Cindy was directed to check out other locations for board meetings. Suggestions included classrooms at a few Joann’s and Hobby Lobby locations.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30
Respectfully submitted,

Cindy Chrisler, Secretary