WE HAD A SEW DAY!
If you missed our sew day, don’t worry. We had so much fun, we’re already planning another. We met Saturday morning at 10 am, and our beloved President, Candy Scott, brought us boxes and boxes of free remnant fabric for charity quilts straight from the Robert Kaufman Co. warehouse. If you would like to take free fabric to make charity quilts, make sure you send us a picture of your finished quilt.
Treasurer, Gayle Bennett, inspired us with some amazing scrappy quilt ideas, and we all dove right in, sorting fabrics and cutting strips for scrap quilts. Don’t worry, there’s still some fabric left. It will be available at our June meeting.
Programs Vice President, Laura Green showed us loads of Wedge Quilt inspiration to motivate us for our July Modern Wedge Challenge Reveal. She also showed us how to construct a set-in circle. If you missed it or if you need a review, click here or go to YouTube and search for Christina Cameli Set-in Circle.
To learn more about our the Modern Wedge Quilt Challenge click here.
Ector Simpson, from Mizell Senior Center in Palm Springs, spoke to us about participating in the Aids Quilt project. This is the project’s 37th anniversary, and to continue to call attention to HIV/AIDs, Ector is working with the founders to bring quilt panels to Palm Springs. He is also encouraging local quilters to make panels.
Panels can be made to remember someone who has been lost to Aids or to celebrate a survivor. Panels must be completed by October 15, 2023.
Stay tuned for more information.
We’re having a Yard Sale! Guild Members, Christine Sharpe and Kate McCarthy are organizing the event which will be held on June 17th from 8 am to noon.
Please donate items by bringing them to our June meeting. Please only bring items in good condition. Unsold items will be donated.
This is a fundraiser for our guild. Fundraisers help us pay for workshops and speakers and also help to keep our dues low.
Block of the Month
Here is our May Block of the Month. You may make it in any size and with any color palette. For more details, ideas, and tutorials visit our 2023 BOM page right here.
June Meeting: SUNDAY June 4th – Save the Date!!!
Don’t miss our June meeting on SUNDAY, June 4th! Veruschka Zarate will be with us live at a new location: D’Andre Lampkin Foundation, 2151 E. Convention Center Way, Suite 210, Ontario CA. Please bring a canned food donation.
Veruschka was the 2022 QuiltCon Viewer’s Choice winner and best piecing winner for her quilt titled “Love Quilt”. Veruschka was inspired to make this award winning quilt following a disappointing quilting – related setback. In her own words, “this piece developed much like a Phoenix from the ashes.” Click here to learn more about Veruschka.
Show and Share
Our talented members never disapoint!
- It’s never too late to become a 2023 member: The cost is $45 and includes one book of Opportunity Quilt raffle tickets. Go to Members’ Corner or email us at iemodernquiltguild.@gmail.com for more information.
- Sign-up for our 2023 Retreat: November 6-9th at Vina de Lestonnac. Total cost is $445, and includes four nights and all meals. Deposit of $100 required. Go to Members’ Corner for more information.
- Drop-in Sew via Zoom: May 22nd, 7 – 9pm. Zoom Link goes out on the Sunday before.
- SUNDAY, June 4th Guild Meeting at NEW LOCATION: D’Andre Lampkin Foundation, 2151 E. Convention Center Way, Suite 210 Ontario, CA. Guest Speaker Veruschka Zarate
- Saturday June, 17th Yard Sale: Bring donated items to June 4th meeting.
- Saturday, July 1st Meeting: Modern Wedge Challenge Reveal. Get the details here.
- Long Beach Quilt Festival: July 6th – 8th. Get more information here.
You must be logged in to post a comment.