Minutes · Minutes General Board

June 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
June 26, 2018, 6:30 pm
JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts, Ontario, CA

The meeting was called to order at 6:27 pm by Laura Greene, with the following members in attendance: Laura Greene, Gayle Bennett, Jennifer Adams, Pat Klassen and Becky Brekke. Becky Brekke took minutes in the absence of Secretary Tricia Williams.

Old Business:
Committee Reports:
Programs
Cat was unable to attend and as a group we discussed the programs for July – October.
July meeting – The Spotlight Quilter Presentation will be by Simone Bradford on herself. She will also bring fabrics for purchase at her Pop-Up shop. Becky will post this event on FB and IG.
August meeting – Shawnee Miller will be giving her Thrilling Threads lecture. A flyer has prepared regarding Shawnee’s lecture on August 4 and her workshop on August 19. The flyer will be available at the flyer/advertisement table at the July meeting. Jen will post these events on the website after the July GM meeting. Becky will post these events on FB and IG. Currently, we still need 3 more people to sign up for the workshop in order to meet the minimum requirement. Jen will create a link on the website to register for the workshop.
September meeting – Song Title Challenge quilts will be revealed. Linda Rasmussen will once again critique our creations.
October meeting – Upcycle Sale at Mountain Shadows Clubhouse in Highland, CA.

VP Communications – Jen will update the Southern California Council of Quilt Guilds (SCCQG) with changes to the Executive Board and our PO Box address.
Jen will create & mail Thank You card to Natalie Barnes, Simone Bradford, and Shawnee Miller. Upon Tricia’s return, she will handle any mailing of Thank You cards going forward.
Jen will create laminated cards (Agree, Disagree, etc.) to be used during the general meeting Warm-Up session. Jen will send monthly reminders to Laura to send President’s blog post each month.

Treasurer – Gayle reported on our financial condition and we reviewed the bank balance for June. Gayle advised that the Guild opened a PO Box and the address is PO Box 2611, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91729.
Also discussed was that we should advise anyone paying for Guild fees via PayPal to send payment via the “Friends and Family” designation so that the Guild is not accessed service fees. Jen will create PayPal link on website.

Upcycle Event – A full page flyer has been created. Jen will email information to SCCQG for posting on their website. For printing purposes, the flyer will be condensed so that 2 fit per sheet. Once that is completed, Gayle will print them out for distribution. Suggested that we take the flyers to our local quilt shops for more exposure. Laura to email the flyer to nearby Guilds listed on the SCCQG’s website.

Welcome/Refreshments – Pat advised that Alisa will be bringing snacks but another person is also needed and Pat said that she would bring in snacks along with Alisa for the July GM.
Pat brought up the need for an assistant to help her run the Welcome Table and Refreshments as it is essentially two committees. As such, it was decided that the Welcome/Refreshments will be split into two committees: Welcome Committee and the Hospitality Hostess Committee (in lieu of Refreshments). Laura will contact Ruth Ann to see if she would like to assist Pat. Pat would then mentor Ruth Ann in all aspects of the Welcome & Hospitality Hostess. In the future, we would expect Ruth Ann and Pat to chair these committees. In the interim, the board and chairs agreed to rotate Welcome Table duties with Pat.

Raffle – Alisa has been appointed as the new Chairperson.

Charity – Jen will create a donation form for the Welcome Table for people to record their donations. This form will be a running list through the end of the year.

Membership – Becky will create a sign-in sheet for Guests only for the Welcome Table.

President – Laura will send a ‘Thank you for attending our Guild meeting’ email to new guests and a ‘Thank you for joining our Guild’ email to new members.

Review Bylaws. We agreed on the following changes:
Article VI: FINANCIAL ADMINISTRATION
Article VI Section 1 – No change
Article VI Section 2 – replace “February” with “March”
Article VI Section 3 – No change
Article VI Section 4 – Added the following sentence: “The Committee shall be established in the month of October.”
Article VI Section 5 – No change

New Business:
The Guild has been invited to exhibit at the Ontario Museum of History and Art, 225 Euclid Ave, Ontario, CA 91762, the last two (2) weeks of December 2018. More details to follow.
Open Nominating Committee chairperson position discussed. At the July BM, the duties for this position will be discussed and once agreed upon will be added to the Bylaws. The duties will be communicated at the August GM and the chairperson shall be appointed at the September BM.
Secretary shall be responsible to clean up the Google Drive shared folder at the end of the year. Will be discussed further upon Tricia’s return.
Next meeting – Monday, July 16 at 6:00 pm at JoAnn Fabric & Crafts, 4470 Ontario Mills Pkwy, Ontario, CA 91764 (Dinner beforehand at Chipotle Mexican Grill, 11334 Fourth St, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 at 5:15 pm.)

Meeting adjourned at 7:48 pm.

Tentative IEMQG General Meeting Agenda
July 7, 2018 – 2:00pm – 4:00pm
Community Center, Grand Terrace
22795 Barton Rd, Grand Terrace, CA 92313

1. Welcome – Warm-up (Cat)
a. “Fourth of July is the most important holiday of the year.”
b. Nominating Committee chairperson position open
2. Committee Reports (Cat)
a. Program Announcements
i. August meeting – Thrilling Thread class
ii. September meeting – Song Challenge, Linda Rasmussen to curate
3. Song Title Challenge (Gayle) – Song Title Challenge drawing during break
4. Block Lotto (Shelley) – Raffle for house block and share next Block Lotto
3. Hospitality – Refreshments Sign-up (Pat)
4. Break – Snacks and Pop-up Shop
5. Program – Simone Bradford Spotlight Quilter
6. Show and Share
7. Raffles – Fat Quarter Raffle & Name Tag Raffle (Alisa)
Adjourn

Respectfully submitted,
Becky Brekke

Minutes · Minutes General Board

May 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
May 23, 2018, 7:00 p.m.
Panda Inn, Ontario, CA

The meeting was called to order at 6:59 p.m. by Laura Greene, with the following members in attendance:  Laura Greene, Cat Wallace, Jennifer Adams, Gayle Bennett, Pat Klassen, and Tricia Williams.  Tricia Williams took minutes in the absence of Secretary Candace Kimball.

Old Business:

Committee Reports:

Cat Wallace, VP Programs

June meeting –Trunk Show by Natalie Barnes of Beyond the Reef.  Cat said that she spoke to Natalie who is excited to come to our meeting.  Cake will be served to celebrate our two-year anniversary.

July meeting – Tricia Williams, who was scheduled to do a Spotlight Quilter presentation, will be out of town and unable to attend.  Cat Wallace is scheduled to do a Transition Quilter presentation.  Cat will invite Simone Bradford to do a Spotlight Quilter Presentation on herself and possibly bring some of the fabric for us to buy.   If Simone is unable to do that, Cat will instead do her Nevertheless She Persisted speech that she did at the Upland Library earlier this year.

August meeting – Shawnee Miller will be giving her Thrilling Threads lecture.  Cat shared a flyer that she has prepared about Shawnee’s lecture on August 4 and her workshop on August 19.

September meeting – Song Title Challenge quilts will be revealed.  Linda Rasmussen has offered to once again critique our creations.

October meeting – Upcycle Sale at Mountain Shadows Clubhouse.  Jen will tell Becky that we offered to help her get items ready for the sale.

November meeting – Member University at Mountain Shadows Clubhouse.  Planned stations include:  MQG Website tutorial by Laura Greene; AccuQuilt Go! Fabric Cutter demonstration by Tricia Williams; Quick Curve Ruler demonstration by Pat Klassen, and possibly a machine binding lesson by Donna Gaston.

December meeting – Holiday Party at Mountain Shadows Clubhouse.  Additional details to follow.

After discussion, it was moved, seconded, and approved that Cat will contact Linda Sullivan to do a Colourwerx Trunk Show at our January 2019 meeting.

The February 2019 meeting needs to be a little shorter so that we can approve the annual budget.

Laura will contact Batty Lady for either February, April, or July 2019.  Cat will send contracts for all speakers. We agreed that we will have two challenges next year, which will be due in March and September.

 

VP Communications – No old business.  Tricia asked if the public can access our minutes on the website.  Jen said that our entire site can be accessed by anyone.  Gayle said that is the reason we do not put confidential items (such as account balances) in the minutes.  Jen said that if we decide it’s necessary in the future, certain areas of the website can be locked so that only members can access them.

 

Treasurer – Gayle reported on our financial condition and we reviewed the bank balance and projected income. Our main income producer will be the Upcycle Sale in October.  Laura mentioned that the MQG site has information about to organize a sale.

 

Welcome/Refreshments – Pat reported that Laura Greene will bring the birthday cake from Costco, Pat will pick up paper goods, and Allison is bringing drinks.

 

Raffle – No old business

 

Charity – Laura will remind Amy that at each meeting, we need a sheet at the Welcome Table for people to record their donations.

 

Membership – After the June meeting, Tricia will send the updated membership roster to Jen, who will send it out to all members requesting that they contact Tricia with any corrections.

 

President – Review Bylaws.  We agreed on the following changes:

Article V Section 1 – No changes

Article V Section 2 – At the end of the first sentence, add, “and may be a special meeting of the Executive Board.”

Article V Section 3 – No changes

Article V Section 4 – After first sentence, add “Members may exercise their right to examine the financial reports by contacting the Treasurer. “

Article V Section 5 – No changes

 

New Business:

There was no other new business.

 

Next meeting – June 26, 6:30 p.m. at Joann’s

 

Tentative IEMQG General Meeting Agenda
June 2, 2018 – 2:00pm – 4:00pm
Community Center, Grand Terrace
22795 Barton Rd, Grand Terrace, CA 92313

Welcome – Warm up
“My fabric is organized well at my home”
Happy Birthday – we are two years old.  Short history by Laura.
Minutes on website; finances available from treasurer
Committee reports
Program Annoucements – Cat Wallace:
June Sit and Sew at Mountain Shadows
July meeting
August meeting
Challenge – Gayle Bennett: Song Title Challenge drawing during break
Retreat waitlist
Block Lotto – Shelley Wardrop: Raffle for arrow blocks
July block lotto
Refreshments Sign up – Pat Klassen
Break:  Visit and snacks
Beyond the Reef – Natalie Barnes (announced by Cat)
Show and Share
Raffles: Fat Quarter Raffle & Name Tag Raffle – Pat Klassen
Adjourn

 

Respectfully submitted,
Tricia Williams

 

Minutes · Minutes General Board

March 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
March 19, 2018 – 6:30 p.m.
Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts, Ontario Mills Circle

Meeting called to order 6:35pm by Cat Wallace

Old Business:

Committee Reports:

VP Programs-April and future reminders April is Negative Space Challenge curated by Linda Rasmussen, (Jen is in New York week before challenge, so she will not have computer access the week before. She will post on website a reminder on Good Friday.)

May is Transitional Quilter with Laura Greene along with Marsha Schuh for Spotlight Quilter.

June’s guest speaker is Natalie Barns. June is also our birthday celebration. Pat will ask June snack people to make arrangements for a cake. Pat will get plates, forks and napkins.

July is Transitional Quilter by Cat Longarmer and Spotlight Quilter is Carlene.

August is Upscaling Sale coordinated by Becky Brekke

Sept is the Song Challenge

Oct is Sue from Needle in a Fabric Stash.

January, Cat is willing to present “Never the Less She Persisted.” A talk she gave at the Upland Library earlier this month.

VP Communications- no old business

Wants to fine tune FB. Working on the qualifying questions for FB.

Treasurer-no old business

Secretary- no old business

Balance is $xxx.xx All debt is paid.

Up-cycling- no old business

Welcome/Refreshments- no old business

Raffle- no old business

Charity- no old business

Membership

Trish to send email to members that haven’t paid yet.

President- 1) Revisit bylaws as jigsaw activity. Each person brings their assigned part to share. Any changes, additions, or policy needs? Bylaws and Policies are tabled for next month. The reviewing process was changed. It will be a group review. We will do section 9 first, followed by a different section the following months. It will be emailed to all members for group discussion at the next meeting.

 

New Business:

Treasurer-retreat

Gayle researched website “Gather at the Hive” in Fallbrook, holds 16 people. Available dates are: 9/21-23 (Third choice), 10/19-21 (First choice), 10/26-28, 11/9-11 (Second choice). $156.25 and provide own food. 10 am Fri-4 pm Sunday. $250 deposit, motion made by Pat, second by Cat. Will provide an interest list at April meeting.

Secretary- thank you notes

Send note to Jessica. Group saw pics of TY cards and decided to keep and use that style. Jen will donate note card stock and Becky will donate envelopes.

President- announcements from member times and appropriateness Wants to put a display of mini-quilts at the Coffee Klatch. Bring minis to June meeting. 120” diameter or smaller. Must have a 4” sleeve from a 9 ½” piece of fabric. Laura to Email Jen instructions for appropriate sleeve to post on website.

President- April agenda

Do the Negative Space Challenge after break. Gayle’s husband will take photos of the challenge quilts for the website.

Set a time at end of meeting for announcements from guests. Pat to provide a list at sign-in desk for announcements they wish to be made.

 

Tentative IEMQG General Meeting Agenda
April 7, 2018
2:00pm – 4:00pm
Community Center, Grand Terrace
22795 Barton Rd, Grand Terrace, CA 92313

  1. Welcome – Warm-up
  2. “I think spring quilts must have bright colors and bold shapes.”
  3. Committee Reports
  4. Program Announcements (Cat Wallace)
  5. May meeting
  6. June meeting
  7. Challenge (Gayle Bennett)
  8. Song Title Challenge drawing during break
  9. Block Lotto (Shelley Wardrop) – Announcement and raffle
  10. Sit and Sew – April 22nd 9:00am – 5:00pm Mountain Shadows (Tricia Williams)
  11. Upcycling Event (Becky Brekke)
  12. Refreshments Sign-up (Pat Klassen)
  13. Break: Visit and Snacks
  14. Negative Space (Judged by Linda Rasmussen)
  15. Charity (Aimee French)
  16. Show and Share
  17. Raffles
  18. Fat Quarter Raffle (Candace Kimball)
  19. Name Tag Raffle (Pat Klassen)

Next meeting April 16, 6:30 p.m. at Jo-Ann’s – Dinner prior at 5:45 at Panera’s restaurant on 4th west of Lazy Dog Café

Meeting adjourned 7:53pm

Respectfully submitted,

Candace Kimball

Minutes · Minutes General Board

February 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

Inland Empire Modern Quilt Guild Executive Board Minutes
February 19, 2018
Joann’s Fabric and Craft, Ontario Gateway Center, 4470 Ontario Mills Pkwy, Ontario, CA 91764

PRESENT:  Laura Greene, Gayle Bennett, Cat Wallace, Candace Kimball, Trish Williams,  Jen Adams, Becky Brekke

Review and accept January meeting minutes for approval Meeting was called to order by Laura at 6:37pm.  Minutes from general meeting were approved and posted.

Committee Reports: Becky: Upcycling is set for August 4 at Mountain Shadows.  The room is reserved from 12pm-5pm (2pm-4pm for the public).  Becky is considering also selling baked goods.

Programs: Cat confirmed programs for the next 5 months are set. Cat will be changing her presentation in July to “Transition Quilter” and will reach out to other members for anyone interested in presenting “Spotlight Quilter” on their favorite modern quilter. Cat would still like to give a presentation and will schedule that when she is prepared to do so. Attendees agreed to have the program for August be only Upcycle at Mountain Shadows in Highland.  September is Challenge “Song Title” with Linda Rasmussen. October is Sue Stone – Needle in a Fabric Stash? (Sue not confirmed yet).  November is Member University and December is Holiday Party.
Laura shared information from Lynn Hanna about the International Art Guild and their traveling trunk show.  The staff showed lots of interest so she will pursue the event.

Communications: Becky posted on Instagram a little Valentine’s Day cartoon and she had 40 ‘likes’ her intent being exploring the interests of viewers.
Jen had a conversation with Jessica about Facebook and possibly asking questions to website visitors in exploring the idea of attending a meeting. Jen passed out a printed communications Website Changes for the Month and File Storage.  It reads as follows:
Calendar: updated calendar for all IEMQG general meetings (monthly) for 2018; Added November and December meetings with Mountain Shadows location; Meet the Teachers event.
Block Lotto: General Information page added with verbiage by Shelley. 2018 Challenges: General page added as a Blog post with information regarding 2018 Negative
Space and Song Title Challenges – includes due dates.
Set-up File Storage and all documents have been moved over to the new system: No charge until we exceed 15MB; Website used was Google Drive-drive.google.com; Password/access to be emailed to the Board members. All documents should be saved to this shared drive in the appropriate folders.  No documents should be saved on personal computers going forward.

Treasurer: Budget was accepted via email.  $1,905!

Secretary: Candace requested discussion for the procedure to approve minutes.  It was decided the minutes will be posted within 1 week of the meeting.  Need 3 board members approval to post.  Send to committee members for input.  Because of format limitations in our storage site Jen requested the minutes contain no tabs, fancy spacing or underlining.

Membership:  Trish added tab for original membership date.  Will add “updated on” date at top of page

New Business: Laura presented the Agenda for March’s General Meeting.  It was approved and reads as follows:
Welcome – Warm-up  “I currently make more modern quilts than traditional?”
Committee Reports  Programs (Cat Wallace): Upland Library Woman’s History Month; Nevertheless She Persisted March 14 at 6:00PM, quilts needed for display; July program – In need of a Spotlight Quilter Presentation Challenges (Gayle Bennett): April program – Negative Space Due, judged by Linda Rasmussen;
Song Title Challenge Block Lotto (Shelley Wardrop): announcements and raffle
Sit and Sew (Tricia Williams): April 22, 9:00am-5:00pm
Upcycling Event (Becky Brekke)
Refreshments Sign-up (Pat Klassen)
Break,
Visit and Snacks
Making Meaning of QuiltCon Quilts (Lynn Hanna)
Charity (Aimee French)
Show and Share Raffles Fat Quarters (Candace Kimball) Name Tag (Pat Klassen)
Remember to bring your Show and Share, Name Tab, Charity Items and membership fee if you are reregistering this month.  Thanks for joining us!

Revisit bylaws Laura passed out talk topics for next months’ meeting.  Becky was given policies to review.
Next meeting is set for Monday, March 19, 2018 at 6:30pm. Adjourned 7:45

Respectfully submitted,
Candace Kimball

Blog

Nominations for Executive Board 2017

At the October meeting, the Nominating Committee presented the slate of nominees for the Executive Board 2017.  The general membership was then able to nominate any additional persons.  No additions were presented.

Voting will take place at the November meeting, during which there will be another opportunity for the general membership to nominate additional persons.

The new Executive Board will be installed at the December meeting and will take over at the January meeting.

Please see the Bylaws for descriptions of each office and voting procedures.

The Slate

President–Laura Greene             Vice-President of Programs–Nicole Mundel

Laura Green

 Nicole Mundel

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

C0-Vice-President of Communications–OPEN

 

Treasurer–Gayle Bennett                                        Secretary–Cindy Chrisler

Gayle BennettCindy Chrisler