How to make the baskets:
1) Select fabrics for baskets, cut strips 4-1/2″ wide. Lay strips on top of each other, right sides up. Cut basket shapes freehand (with straight edge, optional) changing angle shapes.
2) Select background Fabrics, cut those 4 -1/2″ x 7 -1/2″, this will be slightly longer than needed but will allow For squaring up later.
3) Place basket shape in middle of background fabric (both right sides up) now cut along both sides of basket shape ( dotted line)
4) Sew side pieces to basket. Press and trim uneven edges, set aside.
How to make handles:
1) Cut background rectangles to 2 1/2″ x 6 1/2″
2) Slice and add handless (I cut “my handle strips 1″ to 1-1/2”)
3) Press and trim uneven edges.
4) Join. the 2 units and square to size, 4-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ or whatever size you like.
Have fun, once you learn the process, you can make many shapes and sizes. Let’s make these in mostly solids with a few small prints from your scrap basket.