Hopefully you didn’t miss our September meeting. It was filled with so much information and inspiration! Just in case you missed it or need a review, read on to see what we learned, what we saw, and what’s upcoming. Also, now is your chance to volunteer!
Our September meeting started out with some helpful scrappy quilting tips. Scrappy quilts are a great way to fully utilize your stash and play with contrast, value and color. While we generally think of scrappy quilts as vintage or traditional, scrappy quilts can definitely be modern. To get some Scrappy Quilting Tips click here.
Christine Sharpe demonstrated her twist on quilted Christmas stockings. The steps are easy: make some Christmas blocks, arrange them into a quilt top in your desired height and width, make a quilt sandwich and quilt it. With right sides together, sew closed and bind the sides and bottom, and box the corners. You can customize your stocking by adding a tab or strap for hanging, or you can even add a drawstring top to make it a project bag. Christine showed us so many clever examples, that we Just may need to schedule a sewing day to try these out! Be sure to view the slide show below for Christine’s wonderfully creative stockings.
Our Nominating Committee is looking for a few good volunteers! Would you be willing to contribute? We will have Board positions as well as some other fun opportunities. We are a fun and forgiving group and we strive to support each other, so this is a great opportunity to get your toes wet! Please let us know if you are interested or would like to know more by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Show and Share
Our talented members never disappoint!
Carlene Drake (left), Laura Green (right)
Dates to Remember
- QuiltCon Community Challenge Quilt. Join us and help make our 2023 QuiltCon quilt. We have two more sewing days at Lake Mathews Community Center. Be sure to save these dates. September 21st and October 15th from 10 am to 3 pm. Learn all about this great opportunity here.
- Don’t miss our Retreat, November 7th – 10th at Vina De Lestonnac: Total cost is $410 for four nights and meals. Please pay in full by October 2nd. More information in Members Corner.
- Drop in and Sew: On Zoom. Link goes out the Sunday before. September 12th and 26th 7 to 9pm. More information in Member’s Corner.
- Global Quilt Connection: Sept 17th-18th, 12-3pm PST.
- Road 2CA Submission Deadline: Monday October 3rd. more info here.
- QuiltCon Submission Deadline: Monday October 31st. more info here.
- MQG Sessions: Oct 13-16, Virtual event, $95 fee, Register at MQG Sessions.
- Be sure to check out the MQG Website for important updates. It is not too late to register for QuiltCon.
- October 1st: Laura Green will teach us some useful binding techniques
- November 5th: Member University and Orphan Block reveal
- December 10th: Holiday Party!
- Coming in 2023 –
- Carolina Oneto
- Veruschka Zarate of Pride and Joy Quilting
- Carrie Bloomston