These charming little quilts are inspired by Mid-Century Modern design, and are a great skill-building project to learn a number of quilting techniques.
Work small, Work smart, look great.
3 hours: You will start with a simple, modern color palette of neutral fabrics with a flash of color. Clean lines combined with simple design give each tiny composition a sophisticated feeling. Since you are working very small, this is a great project for using small scraps and bits of special fabric.
Participants will learn the quilt-as-you-go method, and a PDF materials and supplies list will be emailed in advance. Hand stitching adds a sleek, linear element. Finishing techniques will be demonstrated.
ZOOM WORKSHOP DETAILS
- Select a range of neutral fabrics (all light, medium or dark), and a bright accent color.
Solids, and subtle, small scale prints or textures work best.
- Cut cotton batting and backing fabric into 5″ squares.
- Cut a selection of the neutral fabrics into small strips (sizes will be provided).
- Cut a small amount of the bright accent color fabric.
- Learn the quilt-as-you-go technique, working from the inside out.
- Explore strip piecing and leaving the raw edges on the outside for extra texture.
- Trim your small quilt blocks and stay stitch the edges.
- Learn about hand stitching, and experiment with adding your own design.
- Sew the backing onto the top of your mini quilts, leaving a space for turning.
- Turn and press, then do a final stitching around the perimeter
A complete PDF supply list, plus step-by-step notes and templates will be emailed to each participant. This is an all-levels class and class size is limited to 24 attendees to ensure one-on-one time.
In the comfort of your own sewing room. This workshop is a 3-hour live-stream event, conducted on Zoom, consisting of live instruction (no recording, please). You should have the current version of Zoom installed on your computer or laptop. Guidance for getting started will be sent in advance of the workshop.
One week after David Owen Hastings’ lecture at our June meeting: Saturday, June 12 from 2pm to 5pm PST.
Workshop Sign-Up is now OPEN!
The workshop fee for members is $40.00 and can easily be paid via PayPal to email@example.com. A workshop confirmation will be sent to you shortly after receipt of paid notification from PayPal. If you are unfamiliar with making a payment via PayPal, here’s a helpful link.
Alternatively, you may also pay by check (checks payable to IEMQG) directly to our Treasurer, Candy. Please email Candy at firstname.lastname@example.org for payment instructions. Please note, we will open the workshop to non-members at the same rate starting Monday, May 3rd.
The workshop handouts will be emailed to you approximately two weeks prior to the workshop and the Zoom link will be sent directly by David Owen Hastings a few days before the workshop.